Saturday, April 11, 2009

04/11/09

Not to piss and moan (though "WISPing" - wallowing in self pity - is one of my best things), but I don't get a lot of support in my writing life. Mom just continues to lambast me for not finishing stuff (which is the biggest of the sticks with which I beat myself mercilessly, so I don't really need her to do it too). The people I know in my day job are clueless, with one exception - a funky gal who fits in with the rest of the mundanes about as well as I do, which is to say, they smile and say hello, but always look at me with that expression of puzzlement that says they just don't get me - and don't ever ask or talk about my writing (nor do they prod me). Another acquaintance took to blasting me, with great anger, whenever the subject of my not writing in sufficient quantity came up. I needed that like a hole in the head and have, essentially, ceased placing myself in the position of having to get yelled at. When I want the yelling fix (right), I can get it at the office. Or at home. Or on the LIRR or the subway, the buses or, hell, right on the street.

SO. I haven't got people cheering me on. Certainly no one particularly complimentary about my abilities. Except for one. One individual who is a talented, multi-genre, multi-published author who, from the very first time this person glimpsed my writing, has never stopped reminded me that my writing is good, better than good, and that I need to get on with it. Get it out there. The nudges are gentle and sprinkled with warmth, humor and support. Not just criticism. And it makes all the difference in the world.

The person in question has been a champion of me in other ways, too, and it is nice to know that there is at least one person in the world who thinks well of me.

So despite the dreary, chill start to my vacation (though hallelujah, the week's 4 days of rain forecast has changed, though the temps will be colder ... at least it will be sunny!), I've got lovely words of enthusiastic support to make my day a bit brighter and warmer and, hell, they got the old creative juices flowing.

Now THAT'S the kind of friends everyone needs at least one of
.
So, thank you, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment