Wednesday, March 24, 2010

March 24, 2010 - Unofficial "Mad as a Hatter" Day

Ever have one of those days? Mine started yesterday with a neighbor - having just sold his house but stopping by to remove some more junk he collected from the garage - whipped it out and took a whizz behind said garage, in direct line of sight from my bedroom window. How de-lightful! But onward and upward I grabbed my bags with my MS for further editing, my research for the revisions and my guide to writing the perfect synopsis and headed to work. Where nothing went right and I was stuck at my desk all day, including through lunch.

Ah, well, there's always the evening hours, right?

Except I got home and noticed my one dog (Scout, the elder of my two remaining rescued ex-racing greyhounds) was bleeding from her mouth. No doubt a dig from chewing on a Milk-bone or a stick, right? Well, after 45 minutes during which time the bleeding grew steadily worse, I made the decision to take her to the emergency vet. Clutching my credit card I arrived at 8:15. By then she was bleeding fairly hard and she and I were covered in it. Following the examination they sedated her (ka-ching), intubated her (ka-ching), sutured her (ka-ching), gave her fluids (ka-ching) and medications - 3 (ka-ching, ching, ching). I just sat there with the bloody clothes getting tacky, though I was distracted by running down the block to the Dunkin' Donuts, which had the only bathroom in the area. And I called a friend to kill some time before Scout roused after 11 PM.

In the end I coughed up $1,200 to pay for these various treatments and I drug poor old Scout on her wobbly legs back home where I then sat up watching the Law & Order SVU marathon until 1:30. Her cries, whimpers and wheezing had eased enough by then that I felt OK going to bed. But I woke up twice between then and 6:30 to check on her, so all in all about a meagre 4 hours sleep.

And then guess what?

I got to jump up and come back to work!

Where another day of hectic insanity left me without a lunch hour at all (and potty breaks were few and far between, too), and here I am, with quitting time having come, and gone, and I'm still at my post.

Posting.

Edits? Revisions?

Pshaw.

Oh, well, there's always tomorrow.

Didn't someone once say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment