Sunday, August 22, 2010

August 22, 2010 - Forging Ahead Despite Rejection!

This week I got the rejection from Penguin's Ace/Roc editors. I'd submitted a cold query (i.e., no 'in', no agent, just hubris) to them on March 31 for my urban fantasy, and waited patiently (ok, not so much) for 4 months. I then received a request on July 26 to submit the full manuscript to them because they found my initial pages "intriguing". I was over the moon, beside myself, jumping on Oprah's sofa, what have you. Naturally I had to re-read, re-polish and generate a synopsis, but I sent it off with high hopes.

Which were dashed when I got the "thanks but no thanks" response. They liked some things, but had trouble with the opening pace (even though they liked the very beginning, I guess) and didn't "connect" with my protagonist.

Now, that, I knew, might be an issue. My kick-ass heroine has a potty mouth, is very snarky, and has a spanking fetish. She is tough and has taken care of herself all of her adult life. During the course of the novel I (think) I show her growth and her ability to learn to trust and love and bond with others. I don't know if the editor didn't read all the way through (didn't sound like they read the entire thing - all the comments referred to the beginning, so ...).

Anyway, as I wrote in an article for my RWA/NYC chapter newsletter, Keynotes, while I was disappointed, it did give me impetus to improve, to forge ahead, to submit elsewhere and investigate agents, so that I may have someone going to bat for me who knows just the right person, or the right house, to pitch it to.

Onward and upward!

No comments:

Post a Comment